With the shark fin drill you practice the high elbow position during your recovery phase. This position is the start of a clean and smooth hand entry, which reduces resistance. Swim freestyle but pause briefly halfway your recovery. It lets you feel how a high elbow recovery should feel like.
How to do it
- Swim freestyle, use fins if needed
- Pause right before your hand enters the water
- Your elbow is pointed towards the ceiling, your hand is pointed down
- Pause for about 2 seconds and then gently place the hand in the water, fingers first
- Then breathe to the side and repeat this movement every stroke
- Maintain a high body position in the water by maintaining a strong kick
- Rotate your body when your hand exits the water, starting from the hip
- Engage your core to hold your body line
Alternate this drill with the fingertip drag and regular freestyle. To be able to perform this drill properly, we advise you to use fins and even a snorkel.