This drill will help you isolate the catch, pull-through and push. The hinge and pull is a follow-up drill from the basic hinge drill. You start with moving your hand and forearm into the catch position, followed by a slight pause, and accelerate strongly to the push. One arm at a time.
How to do it
- Start performing the hinge drill, both hands stretched out, and at shoulder width
- Bend your elbow to achieve the high elbow catch
- Slight pause and then pull-through powerfully without losing the pressure on the water
- Bring your arm underwater back to the front and repeat with the other arm
- Breathe easily through your snorkel
- Maintain a constant kick
- Position the catch first: High elbow – fingertips pointing down, elbow in 90-degree angle
- Engage your core when pulling through
- Control every move – do not rush this drill
Through the hinge and pull drill you will isolate the high elbow and pull-through. You can practice how this feels in the water. The goal is to maximise the power in your stroke.